Saturday, August 23, 2008

No Fun Friday!

Actually the unfun started on Thursday. I was unloading dishes while my 3 little monkeys were playing together. All of sudden I heard choking.
Now as a nurse you learn CPR and more advanced Life Support. And while you are grateful for the information you hope you never have to use it, or that at least you have a good team when you do have to use it.
As a mommy, especially when you have little ones, and a heart baby, you prepare yourself as much as you can. You prepare for the unexpected, but you still pray these things don't happen.
I have no idea what Angelina got in her mouth, as I looked around I saw nothing small enough for her to be choking on. What I did see was my youngest daughter going from blue to a deep shade of purple. It must have been seconds, but it seemed forever, before my efforts to relieve her choking were successful. I came close to asking Marcelina to call 911. She never actually coughed anything up, but whatever she was choking on was no longer obstructing her airway, her color came back, she was crying and tired.
She seemed OK after this, but soon started having gagging spells, and with that came blue spells. I figured maybe what ever she had choked on was possible lodged somewhere in her esophagus and working its way down. She drank water, and even ate lunch after this. She spotted little Alex's chocolate milk and really wanted this too. So sweet brother shared with her.
Just when I thought OK coast is clear, she decided to throw up some of her lunch. Now don't you love those moments when you keep trying to decide, do I go the hospital, do I watch her a little longer....? So off to the ER we went and as usual there was no more gagging, just happy smiley Angelina. I contemplated leaving the ER, but there's always that what if.....?
The first set of Xrays were clear- yay! They did a second set to make sure lungs OK, well these showed there was a possible obstruction in the left lung. I was told they would need to do a bronchoscopy and look inside. Yes, at this point the tears started. I let my daughter choke on something. She's going to have an invasive procedure, and yes it is my fault! I know, I know, these things happen. Believe me I'm super careful with what toys the kids have around Angelina, and what's within her reach. But who else is a mother to blame but herself?
We got to the ER at 4:25pm Thursday. She didn't have the bronch until 11:00 am on Friday. Angelina was actually stable the whole time. She was not having issues breathing, no gagging and her oxygen saturations were normal for her. She actually kept signing for milk, my poor baby, I couldn't feed her.
It took for ever to get the bronch done because they kept passing the buck around as to who would do the procedure. Three different services assessed her Peds Surgery, ENT and pulmonology. Seriously I just wanted someone to do it and get it done and over it! So in the end it was done by pulmonology and they found nothing! As far as the Xray, it could have been because she's a wiggly baby, or just normal for her.
So once she woke up from the sedation we rushed home to sleep in our own beds. On a funny note, I learned Angelina is real talkative when drunk:






So please if you have little ones, make sure you child-proof everything and learn CPR!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

OH MY goodness. So, you never found out what she was choking on?? Isaac has had two blue episodes for me today...where he just can't catch his breath. Maybe she didn't swallow anything, but was acting like Isaac.
and..even in that hospital...that little girl could not be any cuter!!! OH MY GOODNESS!
Glad you were able to get some sleep.
kathy

The Portas said...

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry you had to experience this! This is one of my worst nightmares. I am constantly watching Elijah as he eats and every once in a while he will start to choke on a big bite he swallowed and I prepare myself for cpr or whatever it takes. It's awful! I'm glad everything turned out ok for you. I love the "drunk" videos. Super funny!! She is just so absolutely adorable. Can I munch on those sweet kissy lips? Awwww. I hope she is feeling much better. Sending you guys love and hugs! And no more choking!!! (You'll probably find a marble in her diaper soon. :) ) xxoxoxoxoxoox

JASMINE S.. said...

OMG I REMEMER U TELLING US SHE HAD CHOKED ON SOMETHING BUT NEVER THOUGHT THINGS WOULD BE GETTING BAD AFTER... POOR ANGELINA! :( THINGS HAPPEN AND NO IT WASNT YOUR FAULT SOMETIME NO MATTER HOW MUCH U ARE CAREFUL WITH THINGS, THEY STILL HAPPEN! IM SO GLASD SHE IS DOING GOOD! CANT WAIT TO SEE HER ON WEDNESDAY!

Tina:0) said...

OMG!! I think I would have flipped! Vaeh is always putting what ever she finds in her mouth, but with such a hyper gag reflex she's always gotten things out!

I know exactly what you mean about the cpr. I was a physical therapist assistant for 10 years & luckily never had to use CPR. I hope it stays that way!

Praying Angelina is feeling better soon (& that you don't find anything too funny in her diaper!).

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am so happy to hear she is fine. That would totally freak me out too. I am feeling really freaked out because I don't know CPR. I plan on taking a class in a few months. This is so scary.

Sherri said...

She's so cute!!! I am glad that everything was ok in the end.. That's scary!! I have to pound on Caleb's back every once in a while....