Monday, August 11, 2008

Help! Cloth Diapers??!!!

Ok, so I know the next topic was suppose to be about the psych issues discussed at the conference. But at the moment i need help with a current issue we are having.

Angelina has had this "diaper rash" for about a month now. We have tried almost EVERYTHING! All the different ointment tricks have been attempted to no avail. We are currently using organic hypoallergenic diapers that have helped some. At first I thought they weren't really helping, until i ran out of them and used some left over Pampers we had...BIG mistake! It flared up even more. It almost looks like a burn at times.

Can you believe it does not bother her?!! Thank goodness for that!

So from this I gather it is an allergy to disposable diapers. We have already tried 2 different hypoallergenic disposable diapers.

Next step: Cloth Diapers, YIKES! When I told my hubby he got the same look on his face, I'm sure i have now! Of course we will do what we have to. I've done some research and its very overwhelming. Its a big expense initially so I want to make sure I get as much info as I can.

So if you've used cloth diapers and or know someone who has, please HELP!

We have a few questions:

Which brand?

All in ones, pre folded, covers?

Ok why do they have cute cloth diapers if you have to put covers over them?

My hubby wants to know if its really ok to put pooed diapers in washer (yuck), do you pre hand wash? We know you first dump poo in toilet.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to use flushable inserts.

Can't wait for your input, I need to shop soon!





8 comments:

Maggie Storm said...

Hi! I am a self proclaimed pro at cloth diapering!

I cloth diapered my twins for the first 6 months of their lives. Here are my feelings:

All In Ones are great. FuzziBunz are the TOPS, tops, tops. Make sure you purchase this: http://www.tinytush.com/Mini-Shower_p_86-584.html - had I installed that I think I would have lasted longer once we started solid foods.

Also check out G Diapers but make sure you have a strong flushing toilet - this clogged our toilet twice so we gave up on them.

And GREAT luck, you'll find a lot of fun with cloth diapering - watching my kids run around in just a cloth diaper was a real pleasure for me.

Oh one last thing. You can use regular wipe warmers for cloth wipes. Just cut up old receiving blankets (you can hit up friends, we all know we take a lot of them from the hospital when we check out) into wipe sizes, dampen them with regular water, and put them in the wipe warmer. That way you are literally using NO chemicals on her sweet bum.

Willow Wolfe said...

Nikki is a Pro Cloth Diaper fan. She can help you out too!

Sherri said...

Micayla had a similar problem --- but the Walmart White Cloud diapers worked for her. I didn't use cloth diapers.... sorry --- Micayla's was more of a yeast rash -- lotramin worked or nystatyn. Also Caleb gets those burn like rashes sometimes and I use a mixture of Mylanta and Petroleum Jelly.

Kathy said...

Oh my GOSH...Isaac had the same rash last month...and his took a while to get rid of!
First off, Isaac is very sensitive...plastic tape is even a NO NO for him...someone suggested to me to use the Sam's brand diapers...they are hypoallergenic (with no plastic on them also)...and it worked! Cloth diapers were my next step. Scroll back through my blog (i know..there's alot...)but, it was in this past month and read all of the comments people left for me!
Good luck!!!
Kathy

Unknown said...

I was just getting ready to tell you that Isaac had a rash just recently. These poor babies...

I have no experience on cloth diapers so I'm no help.

Vanessa

Kathy said...

ok...so..with the sam's diapers...I used the Stanford Buttpaste concoction: 1/3 nystatin, 1/3 eucerin cream, and 1/3 desatin.
THEN, I also bathed him in Aveeno's oatmeal bathsoap....
Try ALL three at the same time...it finally took about a week (keeping that ointment on with every diaper change, baths every other night, and the cheap diapers!)
poor little princess!

Tawny, Bo and Orion Aye said...

wow i can't believe someone has the stanford buttpaste recipe! i asked one of the CVICU nurses, but they refused to spill. thanks kathy!!!

i have never tried cloth diapers. i began to research it before orion was born, but have just stuck with the pampers the hospital started him on. good luck with your search and i will keep reading. my sis wants to use G-diapers so i'll let you know how that goes :)

Tiffers said...

My cousin uses Bum Genious and loves them. The initial investment is pretty pricey. I have seen them and they are cute and seem very simple to use. My husband said that if I switched I would be changing all of the diapers. I did not switch. Harrison gets really bad rashes, especially in the summer. His becomes blisters and get larger and than they burst leaving a jaw breaker affect on his skin. The hospital here prescribes "Happy Hiney", which we love. The other thing a hospital recommended when he was born is mineral oil. Pour mineral oil in a cup and put cotton swabs in it. You clean their bottom with just these and not wipes. I carry some in the diaper bag. It works magic and it is cheap. Good luck.