Saturday, December 20, 2008

Thanks for the support!

First I wanted to say thank you for all the support that our family has gotten from our families and friends at home, from the wonderful nurses and friends I work with, and from our blogging families. One way or another you have provided us (mainly me) with hope, support, love and encouragement. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Seems like we've had lots going on lately. We had our annual trip to Big Bear last week, which was really nice. Of course the snow didn't really start until the Saturday right before we came back home, but the kids still had a great time. I have pictures that I'll post as soon as I find my camera! I love this trip because its the one time a year my family (parents & siblings) and Alex's parents and sister all get together and hang out for almost a week. Its beautiful and peaceful (well if you listen beyond the kids!) Last year we didn't go because we were still anxious about doing trips like that with Angelina. Alex and I worried about going this year because of our financial situation, but at the same time, wanted to give kids good quality family time before the chaos of Angelina's surgery starts. I'm glad we went.

Alex has still been looking for work, its been a tough quest. It has been alleviated at least temporarily as his old job has called saying they needed some help. Its temporary, not sure for how long, but its better than nothing. Having been unemployed for 2 months was tough, we were cutting it close before that, and this really put us behind. I will barely be going today to try to get some small gifts for the kids. Hopefully it won't be totally insane!

I was getting worried about being able to take time off from work for Angelina's surgery. I applied for a leave of absence and I just about flipped out when it was denied. Well it turns out that I don't qualify because I haven't been back to work for a year yet. After talking to Human Resources they informed me I might have one more option. I can apply for State FMLA and at least this way my benefits would be protected. Well thats definitely a good thing since I can obviously not do without health insurance! So as I was worried about what I was going to do for income, my unit at work took us under their wing. These caring Labor and Delivery nurses that I work with have started donating their paid time off to me. Wow, ladies you can't believe how grateful I am to you. There is this heaviness that keeps building up in my own heart with worries. Thank you for alleviating a part of that. Seriously, thank you sooooo much for helping not fall apart.

Ok so you may be wondering, HOW IS ANGELINA DOING? She's good! Spunky as ever. Making more and more attempts to walk. Attempting to talk more and more- although we can't always understand her. We are seeing a new Speech Therapist, who just seems wonderful. When I had to take inventory of words she knows, I was surprised that she says 8 words and signs about 30 different words! She has been free of colds up until now. I'm a bit worried because Alex & Marcelina started with the sniffles and a cough 2 days ago! We will do our best to keep her healthy.

Thanks for checking on us!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to see a post from you. I check on you guys all the time.

I am so glad the nurses you work with have donated their time. They are amazing people.

I'm also glad your husband is getting temporary work...better than nothing. I'll continue to keep him in my prayers for something permanent.

So you guys live in California? I went to Big Bear in California when I was a child. I had such a blast. I'm so glad you took the kids and had some fun family time.

Isn't it amazing to see how much Angelina is communicating. When I was told to inventory Arianna's words I was totally blown away. The first time I checked she was saying 10 words but signing 80. Angelina will get there. I'm sure after her surgery she will have more energy and you'll see her start to blossum even more.

Give the kids my love and if I don't talk to you before....

Happy Holidays!!!

Tina:0) said...

Glad Angelina is doing well. Know that I've got her date marked on my calendar & we'll be praying!!

Sounds like you work with a wonderful bunch of ladies! Its nice to know that there are still some good, kind people in this world.

PS - thanks for checking in on me. I'm doing pretty well, sore, but well. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Kathy said...

Angelina is a super-star! NO DOUBT! I still need her to come over and teach Isaac all the things that she knows!
A family vacation sounds priceless. I'm glad that you went and got away too.
What sweet friends you have at work.
It is a horrible job market right now. It makes my sick to my tummy. Joe's still working in a stinky company with a stinky boss who over works him...but, there's nothing else out there....you have to take what you can get.

Just love on your kiddos and your hubby...you have each other...that's all that matters in the end!

Let me know if there's anything that we can do for you!
love,
kathy

The Portas said...

I love Big Bear! I used to go there with my mom, years ago....ahhhh, such a nice, serene place. I'm glad you guys had fun.

Things always work out...that's why we're always told worrying will get us nowhere (coming from worry-wart ME!). I'm glad things are going ok for now. Keep trusting that they will continue to go alright, because they will!

We will be praying for Angelina's upcoming surgery and for peace for you and for thankfulness for those wonderful nurses you work with! How awesome.. Take care! Merry Christmas! xoxoxo

Betsy said...

Chica, I love you guys so much! I get choked up talking & thinking about Angelina's surgery and cant imagine how it is for you- I adore you guys and will be there for you guys in whatever way you need it most and no matter what the hour! We loved BigBear and think we all needed it! I love you!

JASMINE S.. said...

I see Angelina this days and she looks soooo BIG!!! I love helping her with her therapy. Im going to MISS her sooo much. I hope that we can always keep intouch because im really attached to her! she is in my prayers. And i know her surgery is going to go Great!

Love,

Jasmine